What is project BlueDot?
Before we explain this, we want to let you know that this is update is a really big improvement.
Project BlueDot is a dedicated research effort to systematically improve localisation quality in the indoo.rs product. The focus of the first release, has been put into reducing the latency – that is to shorten the time it takes for the estimated location to arrive at the user location.
The source of this latency is the need to buffer several WiFi or BLE scans to use as input for location estimation. Furthermore, we have worked on improved coarse localisation. This selects the building, floor, region in a very fast way. Then location is determined using only the selected region.
BlueDot – The non-technical description
There is a significant improvement in accuracy and latency. Which the table below shows in better detail
To quote one of the technical guys at indoo.rs,
When you improve both accuracy and latency to this level, at the sametime, it feels like a 100% improvement in accuracy.
Usually it it left to the marketing department to make the big claims but, let’s just say that the developers here are very happy people to be around at the moment.
BlueDot improvements – The Facts
This image shows that the accuracy has improved in all areas.
The image on the left is the reading using the old release and the image on the right show the reading with the new release.
There is a significant improvement in accuracy and latency. Our tests (see table below) show a 30-40% increase in accuracy and 2-3s decrease in latency.
It is the “Improvement” column that is of great importance here. Each reading shows an increase in accuracy and a reduction in latency.
This means that the “blue dot” or positioning marker in the app, shows in real-time exactly where you are. The benefit that this will bring to navigation and proximity marketing are very exciting.
How did we do this?
We will give you a quick peek behind the curtain here.
We replaced the static buffer with a smart buffer that predicts signal strengths at different latency. With the larger latency we get more accurate positions, with the lower latency we get “faster” positions. We then produce positions simultaneously with different latency and combine them together. This way we get large accuracy and low latency at the same time.
The releases that are planned until the end of the year will continue to improve both accuracy and latency further.
Other great features in the new release
- We have rewritten parts of the core Locator that bring huge accuracy and latency improvements.
- GPS fallback now works with Proximity maps.
- Changed zone searching in the Viewer on Android to be more user friendly and display a list.
- Clicking on the app icon for the Mobile Toolkit in the notification bar now shows app info.
- When the map is zoomed out to show the whole building, it’s no longer locked to the center of the screen.
- Selecting a zone in a building without a position no longer shows a route from zone to the top left.
- Fixed a bug where the IndoorsSurfaceFragment continuously displays “loading”.
- Fixed a crash during 3rd or 4th route navigation.
- Viewer now highlights zones when entering them again.
- Deleting beacons from the MMT no longer deletes all fingerprints.
- Removed Zone Fencing option from the Viewer menu.
- New Icon for building load menu.
- Added an option to run the Surface SDK without the Locator.
This new release was brought to you by our good friend coffee